top of page




The Animal Control Unit is operated under the direction of the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office. It is responsible for protecting public health and safety by enforcing local, state and federal laws and regulations that pertain to domesticated animals and their care in the unincorporated areas of the County.


Animal Control Deputies impound stray or sick animals, investigate complaints of animal abuse or neglect and take appropriate action to deal with other problems associated with the care of domesticated animals.

Animal Control Unit Leadership
Phone: (864) 260-5576

Staff Sergeant Mark Davis

Investigator Dustin McQueen

Corporal Justin Brown

Corporal Michael Richardson

Where do I find all the State and Local laws concerning animals?

Click on link to be taken to relevant website:

South Carolina State Laws

Anderson County Animal Ordinances

I need to make a complaint concerning a domesticated animal or livestock. Who do I contact?

The Anderson County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Unit is responsible for handling and investigation all calls concerning domesticated animals or livestock. This includes, but is not limited to, animals running at large, maltreatment issues, animal bites, and so on. Call the Animal Control Unit at: (864) 260-5576

What do I do if I get bit by a dog or a cat?

Animal bites should be promptly reported to Anderson County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Unit. We will attempt to locate the animal, verify vaccination status, and quarantined the animal for a period of 10 days from the date of the bite. A bite report is created with the victim’s information, the animal owner’s information, the animal’s description, location, and circumstances concerning the bite.


The report is faxed to D.H.E.C. and a copy is maintained by Anderson County Animal Control Unit.

Note: Seek medical treatment if needed. This is especially essential for children and older adults.

Does the Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Division deal with large domesticated animals / livestock?

Yes, when the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Unit receives complaints on large domesticated animals / livestock, these complaints are investigated by our division. Actions are taken to resolve and correct the problems. Our unit also work hand-in-hand with other organizations if animals are to be removed or housed while actions are pending.

Does my animal have to stay on my property?

Yes, all domesticated animals and livestock in Anderson County must be contained / secured on the owner’s property. This includes domesticated animals as well as livestock. Violation of this can be a fine of up to $1087.50 per animal.

Who do I contact if I have a feral / stray cat problem?

Since the county is actively participating in the TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) program, the Anderson County P.A.W.S. facility has taken on the responsibility of assisting the public with all feral / stray cat issues. Live cat traps can be loaned through the shelter to assist in the safe trapping of the cats. For more information on this program please contact the Anderson County P.A.W.S. facility via email at and someone will get back with you.

Does my dog or cat have to be vaccinated against rabies?

Yes, all cats and dogs have to be current on their rabies vaccination. The owner must be able to provide up-to-date proof of rabies upon any officer’s request. Violation of this can be a fine of up to $1087.50 per animal.

I have an animal I need to turn in, what do I do?

If you have an animal you need to turn in, please contact the Anderson County P.A.W.S. facility to set up an appointment. There is no charge to turn in an animal. Contact Anderson County P.A.W.S at: (864) 260-4151

I have an issues involving a wild animal, who do I call?

Anything involving wildlife (not a domesticated animal or livestock) is handled by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. Please contact DNR at: 1-800-922-5431.

bottom of page